Whisky Bell's 1 L
Promotion valid from 0000-00-00 to 0000-00-00
Expected delivery in: 1 to 4 working days
Free delivery from € 50
Free delivery at the 19 stores Garrafeira Soares
Alcohol Content (%)
Nose: Good body, decent sweetness, richness. Streaks of smoke, apple peels, bruised pears.
Get the hip flask in your bag: you can share the warmth around with a well-made Hot Toddy drink
Cardhu is one of the most famous distilleries of the Speyside with an impressive history and whisky that is not only essential for the Johnnie Walker Blends but also a high demanded Single Malt Whisky. Cardhu was the first distillery that John Walker & Sons bought and Cardhu Single Malt Whisky was one of the six brands that started the Classic Malts Selection, representing the Speyside. The history of Cardhu - which was written Cardow in the beginning- is closely connected to the history of two women: Helen and Elisabeth Cummings. Helen and her husband John Cumming run a farm at Cardow in the late 18th/early 19th century. It is known that in 1816 John was convicted for distilling without official license three times. Distilling to small extends was usual for the farmers at that time and nearly no one cared for licenses. The just couldn't afford it. At Cardow it wasnt John but his wife Helen that distilled and she was known to have an eye on approaching excise officers and warn farmers in the neighborhood by setting up a red flag. Helen didn't just only distill for their own needs, she also sold her whisky from her kitchen's window it is said. In 1824 the Cummings could afford to buy a distilling license after the Exise Act of 1823 had reduced duties. They bought new stills and in the beginning were helped selling and distributing their whisky by their friend George Smith, later founder of Glenlivet. After John died in 1846 his wife Helen and his son Lewis carried on running Cardow Distillery. The distillery and farm officially were handed down to Lewis and in the following years he employed a brewer and a maltman. When Lewis passed away in 1872 his wife Elisabeth supported by her mother-in-law Helen and her two young sons carried on operating the distillery. Seeing the demands for whisky grow Elisabeth bought new ground not far away from the previous farm and built a new Cardow distillery using the same water sources. It could produce three times more whisky than the old one. In the year 1893 Elisabeth made a very important decision: She sold Cardow to John Walker & Sons for 20.500 pounds and ensured her family to hold shares in Walker's company. She died one year later and didn't have the chance to see the success of her wise decision: Under the shield of the big company Cardow could stand the hard times caused by the whisky market crash in 1898. In 1899 the stills of Cardow were doubled and the distillery was connected to the railway buy building a new road. Distillers Company Ltd, today Diageo, acquired the distillery in 1930. In 1960 a reconstruction and expansion followed the increasing demand for whisky in the post-war era. In 1965 the word "Cardhu" became a trademark and the brand was used to sell the whisky as single malt. In 1981 the name of the distillery was also changed from Cardow to Cardhu - a lightly different spelling for the original gaelic word that means "black rock".